Water Watchdog:Pool Safety
By Boua Xiong, KARE
Plymouth, Minnesota- Almost one year ago tragedy struck at Lancaster Village Apartments in Plymouth when a 9-year-old girl drowned in the community pool and a 29-year-old man drowned while trying to help. Both were not strong swimmers.
Community Manager Julie Siegler received a phone call telling her there was a double drowning.
"It was disbelief," she said.
Major changes to the pool have happened since the incident. A 911 direct dial phone has been installed, emergency equipment is now surrounded by red tap and additional signage is up, including a poster from the Twin Cities Metro Water Safety Task Force.
Drowning is silent
By Trish Van Pilsum, FOX 9 News
In the past four months, four young people have drowned or nearly drowned in pools even though there are adults nearby. So, how do children drown in plain sight? A first-of-its-kind test shows why.
"It was the same thing that happened to me," Tyler Lazerte, who slipped under water at a friend's pool, told Fox 9 investigator Trish Van Pilsum. "Under the water, no one heard nothing-- not even the guy in the pool with me."
Minnesota schools review pool policies after St. Louis Park boy's drowning
By Kim McGuire, Star Tribune
The drowning of a St. Louis Park Middle School student has prompted Minnesota schools to scrutinize their widely varying pool safety policies in hopes of preventing a similar tragedy.
Abdullahi Charif, 12, was found floating in the deep end of the school's pool during a physical education class Thursday. He died two days later.
Attorney for the boy's family said he did not know how to swim and questioned how his drowning went unnoticed. On Tuesday, he pointed to a state Department of Health report that said no lifeguard was present at the time.
Nationwide Industries Recalls Trident Pool Gate Latches Due To Failure to Secure Hazardous Areas
Nationwide Industries has recalled Trident Pool Gate Latches. The magnet contained in the striker portion of the latch assembly can come loose, preventing the latch from securing the gate. Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
CPSC Recalls Thermobaby Bath Seats by SCS Direct Due to Drowning Hazard
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has recalled Thermo Aquababy Bath Ring Seats due to drowning hazard. The bath seats fail to meet the federal safety standards, including the requirement for stability. Specifically, the bath seats can tip over, posing a risk of drowning to babies. Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
Pool safety expert helps spread awareness following the entrapment of Usher's son
When Usher's son was entrapped by a pool drain, Alan Korn, Executive Director of Abbey's Hope and a pool safety expert, helped the media spread drain safety awareness and warn the public about the very real dangers of entrapment. Fortunately, Usher's son survived and is reported to be doing well and recovering. Click the links below to view full stories.
CPSC Recalls Hollis Digital Dive Computers Due to Drowning Hazard
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has recalled Hollis Digital Dive Computers due to drowning hazards. The dive computer, when used with an optional integrated transmitter, can malfunction and display an incorrect tank pressure reading to the diver. A diver could unknowingly deplete their air supply based on the reading, resulting in drowning. Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.